How to Get Motivated to Study

How to Get Motivated to Study

Are you frustrated with the assignment in front of you after a long day of lessons? Or are you depressed when the due date crop up all the time? Getting unmotivated is always a common issue for everyone. Read on to learn how to stop procrastinating on learning, so you can concentrate and be motivated to do your assignments even when you're tired.


1. Try to Cut Your Work into Small Pieces

One common reason for losing motivation is too much workload. We will usually estimate the required time to finish our work subconsciously. Thus, when it comes to an enormous task, we will quickly get tired or lose confidence to finish it.

One key to avoiding this situation is dividing your work into different phases' goals and accomplishing them from easy to complex. There is a theory called Winner Effect. It says that animals will have a better chance to win against a more powerful enemy after defeating some weaker ones. This theory also applies to accomplishing study tasks. For instance, you can divide your experiment report into various parts: theory, procedure, result, etc. Instead of putting the whole assignment as one goal, achieving these phased goals from easy to hard can bring a sense of accomplishment and motivate yourself to keep going on it.


2. Remember to Reward Yourself

Despite the achievability mentioned above, some actual rewards are also necessary after achieving goals. According to research from the University of Rochester, motivation can be divided into intrinsic and extrinsic. The rewards exactly belong to the latter.  

The reward itself can also be separated into material and spiritual rewards. The material rewards can be having a snack or making a cup of coffee. While the spiritual rewards tend to be something like listening to music, playing your guitar, watching YouTube videos, and so on. You can get these rewards whenever necessary. It can be after you have completed some of your study tasks or when you make progress on an exam. The vital factor is remembering the feeling of achieving things through your own hard work. Just try to remind yourself of such feelings whenever you lose your motivation. 

However, the rewards should match your process. You shouldn't give yourself a full day's rest after only one-hour study; you should also not skimp on rewarding yourself after achieving a long-term goal. Forming the proper reward habits will allow you to get into a learning rhythm that suits you faster!


3. Keep a Tide Environment and Avoid Distraction

An appropriate environment can also increase your motivation to study. It's hard to stay focused in a cluttered environment. Two key points to creating a good study environment are keeping tidy and avoiding distractions.

How to keep clean and tidy:

  • Clean up your desk. Rubbish and dirt will always annoy you during the study. Moreover, try to orderly organize your objects on the desk, like textbooks and pens. A neatly organized tabletop can always make people feel satisfied.
  • Use proper decorations. You can put a small potted plant or a photo frame on your desk. A casual glance may relax you subconsciously. Besides, always keep enough light. Setting your desk next to the window will be a good idea.
  • Try light music! Light music can help relax your brain without disturbing your mind.

How to avoid distractions:

  • Find a quiet place if you are not at home. Noize is a significant source of distraction. Looking for an empty classroom or a library can be a wise choice.
  • Take your eyes off the phone. Sometimes, we can easily draw to our phones due to message or software notifications. Once we start playing with our phones, it's hard to maintain the motivation before. An efficient way is to mute your phone or take your phone out of sight.

Following these tips can help you get motivated to study. However, that's not all the ways that might work for you. Everyone als has his own way to stay motivated, try to leave your own unique approach in the comments section below!



Additional resources


评论

  1. This is a really useful article for me. I always find myself abstracted when doing homework and reviewing the lecture. After reading this article, I realize my brain may get overloaded after the whole day's work. So I'd like to try to reward myself as you mentioned to take a break for every one hour of study. Thanks for these valuable suggestions.

    回复删除
    回复
    1. I'm glad my article can help you👏. Whenever you find yourself tired or unmotivated, just try to reward yourself. However, as I mentioned above, the reward should also match your process. I believe you can develop such a good habit in your future study.

      删除
  2. I enjoyed reading your article and thought it provided some very useful tips for students and professionals. I agree that breaking a project into smaller pieces can make it more manageable and reduce stress. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned using a plant in your workspace because I have heard that having plants, even fake ones, can help lower stress. One tip that you mentioned is avoiding your phone, I definitely struggle with this one, I find myself scrolling on my phone for way too long and forgetting about my assignment. Another strategy that I personally use is planning ahead. I try to keep a list of my assignments and when they're due. This helps me stay on top of my work and get everything done on time.

    回复删除
    回复
    1. That's great! If you have never tried to put a plant aside, give it a try. Besides, it's very typical that the students nowadays have a problem with their phones. However, don't worry about this. You can set playing with your phone as a kind of "reward". Whenever you finish your stated goal, relax for a while with the phone. Hope you can overcome your problems soon.

      删除
  3. I really like the layout of your blog, how well the images and text fit together and how you use highlights to mark important information. I am glad that the self-reward mechanism you mentioned is being used by me. However, in introducing the third tip, I don't think listening to light music can make the environment clean and tidy. Maybe this method should be put into avoiding distractions. Listening to light music can eliminate the external noise and make people concentrate more.

    回复删除
    回复
    1. I appreciate your fondness for my article. About your opinion of light music, that's true that the effect of light music varies from person to person. The key is to find your own way of keeping motivated. Thanks for your suggestion on my article anyhow!

      删除
  4. This blog really spoke to me, in fact I felt a bit called out! I feel as though I manage my time a bit poorly and my desk is constantly cluttered. In addition, I do not effectively reward myself when studying and I am constantly annoyed by noises. The fact that these ideas are backed by research is just another reason to give them a shot!

    回复删除
    回复
    1. These problems are really usual. The key is to develop a good habit. For example, you need to get used to putting things orderly together in daily life instead of tidying up every time you find clutter. Hope my article helps you with these things.

      删除
  5. Good afternoon! Nice job with this blog. It really spoke to me (especially the section number 2). It is so easy to forget to reward yourself, especially for us college students. We often rush into the next task before reflecting on the prior one. In terms of blog design, well done! I also took your advice which was to clean and tidy my workspace. I agree- too much clutter can surely get in the way of getting work done. Also in section 2, I like the use of bold text to highlight what you want the reader to take away. I'm glad I found this blog, it was very insightful!

    回复删除
    回复
    1. I appreciate your fondness for my blog. As you must have noticed, the effect of getting rewards and building a good study environment is very potent for keeping motivated. They will positively affect your emotion on study and work. I'm glad that my tips can help you on your study👏.

      删除

发表评论